12,522 Words Down and 37,478 To Go!
NaNoWriMo is kicking my butt. That’s the biggest complaint I can muster, though, because I’m 12,522 words into the novel I’ve been mulling over for the last two years. Why didn’t I put pen to paper…er, fingers to keyboard…before now? Who knows? Who cares? I’m excited to finally see the characters come alive, and after only 6 days into the challenge I’ve already learned some stuff.
The Top Five Things I Have Learned (so far) from NaNoWriMo:
1. Having to bullet out as many words as possible has somehow engaged my ability to create heretofore unknown characters. And I like ’em.
2. Since I haven’t the time to micromanage my protagonist I’m letting him run the show, and it turns out he has a mind of his own. Who knew?
3. Spell check has shown that my keyboarding accuracy is much higher than expected, even typing at turbo speeds. Yay!
4. My butt has the capacity to remain planted in a chair for hours before going numb. This either means I have plenty of fat to cushion my weight or I own a really great writing chair. I’ll let you decide.
5. I do not have the ability to do twenty things at one time. I can write or I can clean the bathrooms, but I cannot do both. Pity the potties.
That’s it for now, buttercup. I’ve got to take a break. My husband (and a big glass of wine) is calling my name…also, I have the whole numb butt thing to contend with. Just saying.
Til next time –