Bits-o-Bliss: When the Universe Screams at You, Pay Attention!
Do you ever come across something that keeps reappearing, as if the Universe is flashing a neon sign telling you to pay attention? That happens to me every now and then, last week being the most recent. The neon sign said, “Keep track of your bits-o-bliss!”
Last week I ran into at least a dozen articles and links on Facebook, Twitter, and blogs—and even a column in an old Prevention magazine at the doc’s while waiting for my annual boob squishing—about taking stock in those things that bring us joy. It wasn’t about giving thanks, but about paying attention to and chronicling the things in our everyday lives that give us those moments of bliss, no matter how fleeting they may be. One person made the point that considering how much time we spend focusing on our woes, it should take little effort to flip the switch and detail our blessings instead. Another blogger suggested keeping a journal of the good stuff.
Please understand this topic didn’t appear as sweet sprinkles on my Cupcake of Life. Rather, it poured over me from multiple sources, a staggering tsunami of Universal Suggestion. Talk about giving me a psychological whack upside the head. (Alright, already! Track my bliss. I got it. Ouch.)
All of my prior attempts to maintain a journal have been in vain. I’m good for a few days, maybe even a couple of weeks, and then it falls by the wayside, and that’s all she wrote. (Ha, ha. Pun intended. Bit-o-bliss right there, Buttercup.) But I think this will be different. For one thing, I’m not talking about keeping a diary or writing down my deepest darkest secrets. This is, at its most basic level, a 2-4 times a week jotting down of stuff that makes me happy. I thought I’d use my blog post today as a springboard (as if all the Facebook, Twitter, etc. wasn’t enough, my youngest daughter gifted me, within the last week, with a brand new journal—Yes, Universe. I understand. Enough already!). So here is the first entry in my journal which I’m calling *drum roll* :
1. My backyard is an explosion of green, and I love it! There’s a black crow parading around in the grass spotlighted in a shaft of sunlight and his wings are shiny as black ice.
2. My peace lily has a bloom on it. This is major because I kill all houseplants. Except, apparently, for this one. This one likes me. Joy!
3. I walked through the den and glanced at a pic of my family (when we were all much younger) taken at Dunn’s River Falls in Jamaica. That is a great memory, and I’m still smiling. I may have to go look at the photo again, just because.
4. Cat in my lap with her motor running. *blissful sigh*
5. I frowned my way through the mail today—all bills—until I came upon the return address for my sweet pal, Lynnie (I doubt she knows I call her that, but I guess the cat’s out of the bag now), who also happens to be the awesome writer/illustrator Lynn Obermoeller. An envelope from Lynnie means a nice chatty letter and the instant uplifting of my spirit. Thank you, Lynnie! Er, Lynn.
Quickie Bits-o-Bliss (because once you get started, this is kinda fun)
1. Birdsong at dawn.
2. The smell of the North Georgia mountains after a rain storm.
3. Sitting on my porch swing, anytime at all.
4. Coffee ice cream.
5. Hugs & smoochies.
Are you up for a challenge? Begin your own Bits-o-Bliss journal. You don’t have to write in it every day, just a few times a week, and as you can see by my short examples above it won’t be much of a time commitment. Keep track of your bliss and only your bliss, no negative recollections allowed—just the stuff that makes you happy, wherever and whenever you find it. Next week’s Writing in the Buff will follow up this one, and I’d love to have you come back and let me know how the journaling worked out for you.
For now, put yourself in the Buff with a few Bits-o-Bliss, and please tell me of a time when the Universe flashed neon signs until you paid attention.
Thanks for visiting. See you next week for more of the naked truth.
Enjoy your Wednesday, y’all!