Say What? Our Fascination With Quotes
The proliferation of quotes shared through social media suggests that most of us appreciate a well-turned phrase. Writers especially love a good quote, probably because so much of our world revolves around words. But writers aren’t the only ones:
- Teachers — Classroom posters offer quotes to encourage, engage and inspire.
- Students — The creative placement of a quote extends many a paper to its required length.
- Clergy — Quotes, lots of them, every Sunday (and not all Biblical).
- Parents — Were mine the only ones who quoted Napoleon Hill, Buddha and George Carlin?
- Bikers — Ever read the bumper stickers on a Harley?
- Soccer Moms — Ever read the bumper stickers on a minivan?
- Fishermen — Shirts and hats, usually accompanied by a silk-screened trout.
- Corporations — “Motivational” posters, ad nauseam.
- Everyone on Facebook — Now, you know that’s right.
Quotes come in handy for emphasis, inspiration, or entertainment, and almost everyone has a favorite quote. The one on my sidebar under “Wish I’d said that” is my current fave, but I have many others to which I turn for inspiration. Here are three that I go back to time and again:
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Children read books, not reviews. They don’t give a hoot about critics. – Isaac Bashevis Singer
Become so wrapped up in something that you forget to be afraid. – Ladybird Johnson
Need to find a quote? Here are a few websites offering quotes aplenty:
If you have a site you visit for quotes that isn’t listed here, please share it in the comments.
Because I’m intrigued by the rampant sharing of quotes, particularly on Facebook, I have a few questions for you. First, what is your favorite quote and why? Second, do you have anyone in particular that you quote more often than others? Third, do you actively visit sites that offer photos with quotes for the express purpose of sharing via social media?
See you next week for the naked truth about . . . hot flashes!
Have a great week –
Clip art courtesy of Microsoft Image Gallery.